Thursday, April 12, 2012

Baking Powder vs. Baking Soda

After doing some research, I discovered what happened to my red velvet cupcakes! I was so disappointed I had to find out where I went wrong with them. My cupcakes didn't rise like they were supposed to because I used baking powder instead of baking soda. I wasn't paying much attention and I realized that I had used the wrong box from the cupboard. The recipe had called for sour cream, which is an acidic food; baking powder already contains an acidifying agent. The combination of the two caused an imbalance, leaving my cupcakes looking flat and inedible! It is important to use the correct ingredients and the correct amounts. Leavening agents, baking soda and baking powder, are vital ingredients for baking. Without them baked goods would be flat and ugly, just like my cupcakes. Now that we figured out the problem, let's hope there are no more kitchen catastrophes!

Check out this website for more info:
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm

1 comment:

  1. I hoped they still tasted good! And good luck next time you make them

    ReplyDelete